Sunday, November 17, 2013

will run for chocolate!

I've mentioned before that I only really like to run kitschy "theme" 5ks - the Hot Chocolate 5k is only half that. It's basically your standard 5k with a twist - instead of the usual water and protein-filled post-race snacks, this one gives you a giant mug of...yep, hot chocolate! Along with chocolate fondue and plenty of stuff to dip in it, including marshmallows, Rice Krispies, pretzels, and a banana.

Originally we were going to run this race in Detroit, but the date got canceled! So...road trip!

Unlike any 5k I've done so far, this one only had packet pickup the two days prior to the race, at a mini Runner's Expo in the convention center next door to our hotel. The Expo might have been small, but it was mega fun! There were a few different booths from local health, nutrition, and fitness related businesses, a stack of running-related Christmas tree ornaments, tons of discounted fitness merchandise including clothes and shoes, walls of chocolate-related running merchandise, and best of all, a chocolate marshmallow sample of what was to come at the race... 

They had these in all sorts of race lengths - 5k, 13.1, 26.2, even some that just said RUN! I bought this one as a Christmas gift, but got the same for myself in hot pink, as well as one that says, "May all your miles be merry". Too cute!
Only a small preview of what was to come when we finished the run...
I ended up buying 3 ornaments, a discounted Nike workout shirt I'd had my eye on for a while, and a new cool-weather Hot Chocolate 5k compression shirt. Oops! 

The race itself was at 7:30 on Sunday - getting out of bed to be there at 6:15 (the time or packet suggested) was rough, but I loved that the whole even was so early in the day - awesome for those of us who have to drive 4 hours home.

The weather was a bit of a downer - steady downpour all morning that let up just a little but before the race (and then was stop and go the whole time...), but it was a nice temperature to run, and our race packets came with really nice quarter-zip running tech shirts with hoods, so we were all set! 

The course wasn't as gorgeous as last weeks romp along the water, but downtown Columbus is full of some really lovely old bridges and buildings, and the race went by super fast. I didn't PR, but I'm not unhappy with my time either. And moat importantly, Theresa and I got a whole bowl of chocolatey goodness to warm up with afterward!
The mug/bowls came with a cup of hot chocolate, some chocolate fondue, banana, marshmallow, rice krispie treat, mini pretzels & a Keebler wafer - chocolate overload!!
I could only eat/drink about half, it was so big, but soooo yummy!!  I'm ready to take a little 5k break now, after 3 in 3 weeks, but it's been fun, too. Thanks for the memories, Columbus - you're pretty all right!!

QUESTION OF THE DAY: Have you traveled for a race or a fitness event before?

No comments:

Post a Comment